Lancashire Encounter will be back in 2021
1 June 2020
Preston's weekend of arts, music and performances, Lancashire Encounter, is another casualty of the Coronavirus pandemic and will now return in September 2021.
Lancashire Encounter 2020 was scheduled for 18 - 20 September 2020 with new dates for the festival now 17 - 19 September 2021.
As part of the Encounter preparation, there is a large amount of outreach work and development required to produce the performances presented at the festival, and due to the restrictions on movement and gatherings this work has not been possible.
Online activity will start again towards the end of this year and once restrictions are lifted, the festival preparations will kick into full swing. There will be opportunities to participate, create new work, get hands on and even join the festival volunteer team.
Updates and details will be posted on the Lancashire Encounter website.
Councillor Matthew Brown, Leader at Preston City Council, said,
This has been a difficult decision to make, but in many ways it has been taken out of our hands by the ongoing uncertainty that we face as a city, a region and as a country.
It is not possible to plan for the delivery of an event on the scale of Lancashire Encounter with such uncertainty surrounding mass gatherings in the coming months as the safety of the public is our main concern.
However, I'm confident in the teams and community groups and organisations across Lancashire that the festival in 2021 will be amazing and something we can all look forward to.
- Although this executive decision has been taken, it is subject to a call-in period as per the usual internal process (deadline Monday 8 June 2020)
- Arts Council England have agreed that funding relating to the 2020 event will be carried forward to cover the 2021 dates
- We are working with partners across the county to support the most vulnerable in our community who are facing difficulties, worries and loneliness as a result of Coronavirus (Covid-19).
- If you are isolated by Covid-19 and need help please visit Preston Together for more information or call 01772 906777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Preston City Council actively applies and prioritises the principles of Community Wealth Building wherever applicable and appropriate. Community Wealth Building is an approach which aims to ensure the economic system builds wealth and prosperity for everyone.